Tuesday, February 08, 2005

What goes around, comes around

At distinct and memorable moments in my life, people have stepped in to lend me a helping hand, for an assortment of things. There was no reward in it for them. They just did it because they saw I was in need, and it was the right thing to do. More than that, I think they did it because they wanted to.

On one occasion, I wanted to see and sense the distance between Honduras and the United States, so I refunded my airline ticket and set a course by bus. Over a six-week period, I stopped at various destinations, watching my money carefully. Unfortunately, I had poorly planned just how expensive things get once you cross the border into the U.S.

My dad forwarded a bus ticket to me in Houston so I could get home. I stayed one night in a hotel, and hitched a ride from Brownsville to Houston. Once in Houston, I got the bus ticket and headed home. I only had a few bucks left in my wallet though, and the bus ride was something like 36 hours. I thought I should be very sparing in spending any of that money.

At a fast food rest stop, the guy sitting next to me got up. When he returned, he gave me a bag of food. I don't know what he sensed. We hadn't talked much. Somehow he knew I must have been hungry. Did I look that bad off after six weeks on buses across Guatemala and Mexico?

As it happens, when I finally arrived in Wisconsin, I had exactly enough change left in my pocket to call home.

I have many other stories like that, and have tried to be aware of situations where I can be a help to someone else.

We are all in the world together, for better or worse. Help a person in need. You'll bring them happiness, you'll feel better about yourself, and somewhere, sometime, who knows, your gift may just come back to you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave Morris said...

The concept of serendipity is lost on most. I'd venture to say 90 percent of the lessons I've learned in life happened through serendipitous circumstances.

I like your blog. I'll check back.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Thanks for your comment Dave. Feel free to contribute. I'd appreciate it if you have anything to add.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home